Sunday, June 26, 2011

Adventures in the French Alps and Lyon!

Well, we made it back to France! (After a VERY long night at the airport) I think we are all trying to just forget about last night. It was exhausting. The benches at the airport were not comfortable at all and we had an awful time trying to get situated. We eventually found a nice quiet spot in the airport where we all grabbed our own separate benches. I was just falling asleep when two unfriendly policemen came and woke us up wanting to see our boarding passes. We didn't have them yet because the area for that was closed until 4 am, but they were insistent and annoying about the whole thing. It was especially annoying because they'd already seen and talked to us a littler earlier, yet they waited until we were asleep to ask for this. So, unfortunately it was a long night that I'm just glad is over.

I can't even remember anything about our flight to Lyon, France except for a couple minutes I spent looking at the sun as we took off. Next thing I knew, we were in France and landing. I think we all slept that entire flight. We were half awake due to lack of sleep, and then Nadine and Brahim picked us up and drove us straight up to La Feclaz, the town in the French Alps where the chalet is located. I fell asleep again and was not thrilled to wake up right as we were manuevering around a crazy curve. I've never been on one like it! My stomach was in knots by the end of that trip!

The chalet is really cute and on a nice quiet street. It is so interesting to see all the different landscapes in France/Spain that we have seen. The island and beaches are probablyy my favorites! Lyon is nice as well, at least the suburb of it that Keegan's aunt Nadine lives in. More on that later!

After arriving at the chalet, all we wanted to do was sleep, so the three of us headed straight to bed for about 2 hours. It was tough to get up after that, but we did and we had a nice lunch. Then we took a hike. This hike was unlike any I've ever done. We went up the mountain to two separate spots with amazing views. After the hike, I was told we did about 10 km, or like 7 miles total. Considering how steep it was and how high we went, I was very impressed with what we did! It was exhausting, but in a good way.

After the hike and a delicious Morroccan dinner (Keegan is ready to head to Morroco next after Brahim's wonderful cooking), we all brushed our teeth and went straight to bed! Funny story about teeth brushing :) ... I have discovered that Taylor cannot stand in the bathroom while burhsing her teeth; she always moves around and goes to another room. I promised her this would make the blog, because I think it is fun the little things we are learning about each other!

Then this morning, we got up and had a nice breakfast before heading to the city of Annecy for the day. This is another nice place in the French Alps. It is beautiful and I highly recommend visiting. I haven't been to Italy yet, but Taylor has and she says it is comparable to the city of Venice. There are canals throughout the streets and it is so pretty just to walk around. The main thing to see in Annecy though is the lake. It is right between the mountains, and on beautiful days like today there are lots of boats out on the lake and people swim/tan etc. It is quite a site. We got some quiches and dessert pasteries and had a little pique-nique in the park by the lake. It was yummy, especially the chocolate mousse cake things Tay and I had!

After lunch and exploring Annecy's streets a bit, we drove a few minutes out of the city centre to visit a very old castle! Supposedly, it is the one Walt Disney based the castle in Sleeping Beauty on. The tour was very interesting but in French so Nadine translated for us. My favorite part was the library, which had between 8000 and 12000 old books from the 15th to the 18th centuries. Very cool to be around. We all enjoyed the castle a lot. Then we drove back to Lyon.

Nadine has a very nice apartment we are all excited to be at. We had lamb and turkey kebabs for dinner, and now we are ready to crash again! Bon nuit!

No comments:

Post a Comment