Sunday, June 26, 2011

Barcelona Airport Boredom

Note: I'm posting this blog exactly how I wrote it when we were in Barcelona, so technically the present tense should be past and such, but I wanted to keep it as authentic as possible :)

I probably won't be posting this until after leaving the airport, but I'm still going to write it as its happening so those of you reading this blog can better understand our emotions. It's midnight now as I write this on an uncomfy bench at the entrance to the Barcelona airport. Our flight leaves at 630 am so we decided to just chill at the airport rather than pay for a night at a hotel. Ill descibe more of this later but first let me back up and pick up this blog where I last left off.

Last night there were lots of fireworks going off all around us in Palamos as the people celebrated the festival of San Juan. It annoyed me at first because I felt like I wouldn't get much sleep due to the noise; but I must admit it was pretty cool to see. The fireworks were not as big as Thunder Over Louisville obviously; but we had fantastic views from the balcony. It was like our own personal fireworks show. And we were finishing up laundry (which had to be hung up to dry on the rooftop terrasse) and up there we had an incredible 360° view of multiple fireworks shows! Very cool.

We got up a bit earlier than usual, hopped in a taxi, and headed to town to catch a bus to Barcelona. Then we lugged our suitcases from the bus station to the Urbany Hostel, where Jake and his friends were staying for the weekend. Still can't believe we got to hang out in Spain with him like that! Fun stuff. It was funny at the hostel at first because we felt like stowaways for a few minutes when e hid in the stairway while Jake got a new roomkey, because technically we were supposed to pay but we rebelled. Then we all headed to lunch at a tasty Spanish cafe. We had croquettes for the first time and finally had a good paella experience. It was all good.

After lunch, we let Jake head out to see everything he had planned for the day, and the three of us got on a bus tour. We were exhausted so this was a nice change of pace. Barcelona is really an exhausting city. We all agree it is our least favorite place we have been but I'm still glad we got to see it. And Palamos was amazing so we can't speak bad about all of Spain! If I ever come back to Barcelona, I want to just have a specific area in mind to visit and stay in it all day.

After awhile, we got off the bus and had more gelato. Then we headed back to meet Jake again and get our suitcases. And then we came to the airport. Which apparently shuts down all shops and restaurants at 10 pm and won't let us check in for our flight until 4 am. So instead we are bored and sitting on very hard benches that are going to be tough to sleep in. And it is crazy hot inside so Keeg and I keep stepping out to get some fresh air.

I'm ready to get back to France!!! Another update soon!
Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment