Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Palamos Beach Bums!

Don't worry, a new blog is here! Sorry for the delay! We’ve all been enjoying our time here in Palamos. The pace is very nice—sleep in, have a nice breakfast, throw on swimsuits/trunks, and head out to the beach! That’s our typical morning routine now J. Sunday it was a bit crowded, but during the week crowds have definitely been minimal. We are always able to find a nice spot without many people around. I love the beach here. I know I haven’t been to a ton of beaches, but I always dislike the ones with the crabs everywhere or the really rocky sand. This one is great; haven’t seen any crabs in the sand and its nice and soft, though it does get hot! We’ve had fantastic weather. I don’t know if Spain is just always this picture perfect, or if we’ve gotten lucky. The only rain we’ve seen was a tiny bit in London, and even that was minimal for London.

I don’t think Keegan was prepared for the way girls treat going to the beach. Taylor and I are more than content to just lay and sunbathe for 2-3 hours at a time… and he isn’t. So, we get in the water some, occasionally get drinks or ice cream at the beach bar, and find other things to do. I could definitely keep this pace up for a few more days. We had to be careful today though because it was hotter than it’s been other days. Yesterday it was really windy which was annoying for laying out, but today was much better. They rake the sand it seems every other day, which is nice. And the water is awesome! I’m not much of an ocean swimmer typically, but I did get in today (as did Taylor and of course Keegan). It’s so clear you can see all the fish in the bottom. I wish they were colorful fish, but I’ll take what I can get J. It’s not that deep either and not very rocky, which is nice. Very family friendly area!

Keegan and I bought a little set of the beach tennis game, and although it can be tough with the wind, it’s still fun. And I’m still trying to convince him to build a sandcastle with me! I didn’t do that as much growing up as I feel the typical child does, so I want to make up for it now! J We feel a tad silly buying a pail and shovel though, so I don’t know if it’ll actually happen.

Yesterday early evening we walked in to town to do some shopping and have dinner. Taylor and I really wanted to try paella, so we got all excited to try this fancy looking place with pretty cheap prices. We were given the English version of the menu (we’ve decided it must just be stamped on our foreheads that we speak English or something), and there were many different types of paella. Some types had fish, and some were with meat. One just said “paella” and we thought that was just rice, so Tay got that and I asked for it with “pollo only” (chicken only)… too bad I said ONLY in English, which meant the guy didn’t actually understand what I meant. I’m sure the looks on our faces were priceless when a big frying pan was placed in front of us filled with mussels, langoustines, rabbit, possible chicken, some rice, and more that we couldn’t identify. I suppose we really should have expected all this, but we didn’t. So Taylor and I were a bit thrown off by the looks of the meal which made it difficult to eat, though we managed to have some of the rice and bread. Keegan had mussels (again), but said they weren’t nearly as good as at previous places. So after dinner, we chowed down on some delicious gelato, which made up for the less than stellar dinner experience J. I have yet to have a bad gelato experience!

Keegan has pointed out numerous times that I’ve failed to mention someone who has been a big part of this trip: Jacques (pronounced Jack with a French accent). This is the name Keegan gave to the first langoustine in his meal in Barcelona. For anyone unaware, this species is placed on the plate in full body, including claws and eyeballs. Tay and I were fully disgusted and couldn’t stand to watch as Keegan began to name and play with his little Jacques. He couldn’t bring himself to eat his friend though. After that, anytime one came with his meal he wouldn’t eat it and would say he was “saving Jacques”. Jacques has shown up at multiple meals now. It’s safe to say I doubt I’m ever able to eat a langoustine in my lifetime now. And last night, Taylor and I were lucky enough to meet the rest of Jacques’ family. They were all saved, too.

We’ve decided to spend an extra day at the beach tomorrow because it is so lovely here, and are just going to head to Barcelona Friday morning. We are enjoying perfecting/practicing our Spanish and French in the meantime, and just relaxing. Our plan for tonight is to attempt to cook some pasta, then maybe go out for drinks/dessert.

More to come soon!

Hasta Luego,

Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment