Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Lyon Love :)

Bonjour mes amis! We have been enjoying a much slower pace for the past couple days in Lyon. It is nice to sleep in as late as desired and not have a huge agenda. I love Nadine's apartment so much, so I have no problem just hanging out around here and relaxing! Yeterday we slept in and then explored the town of Brignais (technically where Nadine lives) for a little while. We had a very French lunch of croque-monsieurs and a bagette to go, plus dessert pasteries.

I told my mom the other day that one thing I am enjoying here is watching the tv show Friends in French! I really think there is a tv channel here that only airs Friends, because every time I turn it on the show is on. And since I basically have all the episodes memorized in English (and can still read their lips if I try hard), it is fun to try and understand it in French. Hopefully it is helping me improve my French a bit! :)

After a nice lunch and relaxing early afternoon, Brahim picked us up and took us to explore another area in Lyon while Nadine hosted some of her colleagues for a little get together. We had a very nice dinner at a little local place in Lyon that Brahim and Nadine enjoy. Keegan and Brahim had kebabs, Taylor had steak, and of course I had chicken ;). The meal came with fries, salad, and two kinds of rice. And lots of bread! It was very good. Afterwards, we walked around and saw a very nice shopping area in Lyon, as well as the mairie (town hall) and a cool fountain statue. Then we were very French and had some delicious Haagen-Daas ice cream. Ha. It was really really good though! And afterwards, we were all stuffed!

Next we came back to Nadine's where the party was still in full swing, but we were all too tired to really interact much so instead we took turns getting cleaned up and ready for bed. After the party we helped Nadine clean up a bit and then she helped us book our train to Paris. We are going a day earlier now, which will be nice because it gives us plenty of time to see the wonderful city of Paris. I am looking forward to it. I will miss this place though.

One interesting note I wanted to include about our travels is that we have found everything in Europe seems to be just two hours away through some mode of transportation! It is a running joke we have now, because every time we ask how long it will take, it is two hours (sometimes a little less, but generally around two!). For example, the flight from London to La Rochelle was about 2 hours, and all other flights have been 2 hours or less. The bus from Palamos to Barcelona was 2 hours. The car ride from Ile de Re to Bordeaux was two hours. The car rides from Lyon to La Feclaz and from Anncey to Lyon were both two hours. We all had a good laugh the other day when Taylor asked Nadine how long the train from Lyon to Paris would be, and her response was yet again, 2 hours!! Just something I wanted to share :)

Today is looking to be another relaxing day. It has been really hot here, with temps in the 90s, but today it cooled off and is very pleasant outside. I think we are planning on just kind of relaxing and reorganizing until Nadine gets back. I might try and catch some Wimbledon for the first time since I have a little extra time to kill. Why not! :)

Looking forward to Paris tomorrow! Will update when I can. I can't believe we come home Sunday, so in 4 days?! I am looking forward to seeing everyone again, but I really am going to miss Europe! It will be bittersweet I suppose.

A bientot,
Kait

No comments:

Post a Comment